The Southeastern Council of Latin American Studies (SECOLAS) is the oldest regional professional body dedicated to the study and teaching of Latin American and Caribbean societies and its histories. Membership is open to all persons interested in Latin America. Its objectives are the promotion of interest in Latin America, scholarly research pertaining to Latin America in all fields, and the increase of friendly contacts among the peoples of the Americas. SECOLAS is a nonprofit organization.
Benefits of SECOLAS membership:
- The right to submit articles and books to our annual prize competitions
- A digital subscription to The Latin Americanist (4 issues annually, including the Annals)
- Regular updates on SECOLAS events
Types of Membership
SECOLAS offers two membership types—professional and discounted—as outlined below. Membership begins the day dues are paid and lasts 12 months. In addition to paying for a membership, you may purchase a conference registration with your membership—people who purchase a membership with conference registration before January 15, 2019 (early bird) receive a discount. For information on location and dates of the next conference visit the SECOLAS website.
- independent scholars
- university staff such as administrators, librarians, staff at area studies centers, and university press representatives
- contingent faculty
- scholars based outside of the U.S.
- emeritus faculty
How to Join
How you can join SECOLAS:
- Download and print the SECOLAS Membership Form.
- Use the buttons below to join online.
- If you have questions or would like to pay by credit card over the phone call Suzi Waters, UNC Press Journals Manager, at 919-962-4201.
Professional Membership: $45
Professional and Conference: $160
Discounted Membership: $30
Discounted and Conference: $130